Roadmap to Discipleship
The Roadmap to Discipleship is Zion's program for equipping its members to develop their faith and lead the life of a disciple of Christ.
There are eight areas of focus:
In January 2011, Zion celebrated Discipleship Sunday with a specially-designed liturgy and a congregational forum. Members took a self-assessment to help us gauge where we were in our journey and help identify areas we could work on. In response to the results of this assessment, a guide was created to assist members in their prayer life, and the Book of Faith class launched to deepen members' relationship with the Holy Scripture. We look forward to taking this assessment again and measuring our progress.
Read a newsletter
Listen to a sermon
Pray – I Thessalonians – “Pray without ceasing.”
1. Praying as an individual.
2. Praying as a family.
3. Listening for God’s response.
Praying is easy! Print out this great guide and keep it handy!
Worship – Matthew 4:10 – “Worship the Lord your God, and serve only him.”
1. Regularly participating in worship.
2. Being open to God’s presence.
3. Having a personal devotional life.
Serve – Matthew 25:45 – “Just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.”
1. Supporting the ministries of the church (i.e. IHN, Faith Kitchen, the Matheny School, HCMAP, Edna’s Haven).
2. Living out our faith in the world (i.e. work, school, community).
3. Finding ways to serve through our work, schools, and communities.
Tell – Acts 2:11 – “In our own languages we hear them speaking about God’s deeds of power.”
1. Sharing my faith within our family of faith.
2. Inviting others into our community of faith.
3. Sharing my faith in the world (i.e. work, school, community).
Care – John 13:35 – “By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
1. Providing hospitality to every person who enters our doors.
2. Tending those in need in our congregation.
3. Tending those in need in our workplace, school, and community.
Learn – Matthew 11:29 – “Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me.”
1. Participating in
2. Spending time educationally/devotionally with the Bible
3. Exploring my faith as an individual and family.
Give – I Timothy 6:18 – “They are to do good, to be rich in good works, generous, and ready to share.”
1. Offering a proportion of our income to the life and work of the church.
2. Giving of my time and talent.
3. Seeking ways to give in the world.
Connect – Colossians 3:14 – “And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.”
1. Working to create fellowship within the church.
2. Building up others within the community.
2. Making connections with people at work, at school, and in the neighborhood.
Other cool stuff...
Take the Discipleship Inventory yourself here.
See how Zion members scored themselves here.